A | B | D |
E | F | G|
H | I | J |
K | L | M |
N | Q | R |
S | T | U |
W | Y |Z
Aban — Old Arabic name
- Abbas — Description of a lion
- Abbud — Worshipper
- Abdel, Abdul — Servant (of Allah).
Before any of Allah's names, this prefix is to be found for a
person's name. Below are the ways one can have Allah's Name as part
of his name:
Abdul-Alim — Servant of the
- Abdul-Aliyy — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Azim — Servant of the Mighty
- Abdul-Aziz — Servant of the Mighty,
- Abdul-Bari — Servant of the Creator
- Abdul-Basit — Servant of the Extender
- Abdul-Basit — Servant of the Extender
- Abdul-Fattah — Servant of the Opener
(of thegatesof sustenance)
- Abdul-Ghaffar, Abdul-Ghafur — Servant
- Abdul-Hadi — Servant of the Guide
- Abdul-Hafiz — Servant of the
- Abdul-Hakam — Servant of the
- Abdul-Hakim — Servant of the Wise One
- Abdul-Halim — Servant of the Mild,
- Abdul-Hamid — Servant of the Praised
- Abdul-Haqq — Servant of the Truth
- Abdul-Hasib — Servant of the
- Abdul-Jabbar — Servant of the Mighty
- Abdul-Jalil, Abdul-Jaleel — Servant
of the Great, Revered One
- Abdul-Karim — Servant of the Noble,
- Abdul-Khaliq — Servant of the Creator
- Abdul-Latif — Servant of the Kind One
- Abdul-Malik — Servant of the Master
- Abdul-Majid — Servant of the Glorious
- Abdul-Mu'izz — Servant of the Giver
of Might and Glory
- Abdul-Mujib — Servant of the
- Abdul-Muta'al — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Muttalib Abdul-Nasser — Servant of the
- Abdul-Nasir — Servant of the Helper,
- Abdul-Qadir — Servant of the Capable,
- Abdul-Qahhar — Servant of the Subduer,
- Abdul-Quddus — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Rafi — Servant of the One Who
- Abdul-Rahim — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Rahman — Servant of the
- Abdul-Rashid — Servant of the Rightly
- Abdul-Ra'uf — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Razzaq — Servant of the
Maintainer, the Provider
- Abdul-Sabur — Servant of the Patient
- Abdul-Salam — Servant of the Peace
- Abdul-Samad — Servant of the Eternal
- Abdul-Sami — Servant of the
- Abdul-Shakur — Servant of the Most
- Abdul-Tawwab — Servant of the
- Abdul-Wadud — Servant of the Loving
- Abdul-Wahhab — Servant of the Giver
- Abdul-Wahid — Servant of the One
- Abdullah — Servant of Allah
- Abu Bakr — Name of one of the greatest
Companions of Nabi Muhammad, May Allah's peace and blessings be
upon him. Abu Bakr wasthe first Rightly Guided Khalifa. May Allah
- Adel, Adil — Just
- Adham — Black
- Adnan — Proper name
- Afif — Chaste, modest
- Ahmad, Ahmed — Most highly adored, or
most praised; variation of the name "Muhammad." A very holy name.
If one wishes to choose this name for himself, he should have a
second name after it. For example, Ahmad Abbas, Ahmad Ali, but
not simply Ahmad.
- `Aqil — Intelligent, thoughtful, one
who uses reason
- Akram — Most generous
- Ala' — Nobility
- Aladdin, Ala' al din — Nobility of
- `Ali, Aliyy -
The highest, greatest, excellent, noble. Also the name of
one of the greatest Companions of Nabi Muhammad, May Allah's peace
and blessings be upon him . Hadrat Ali (may Allah
bless his countenance) was known for immense Hikmah (Allah-given
wisdom), bravery, ferocity, and depths of knowledge, amongst many
other noble qualities.
- `Alim — Wise or learned
- Altair — The flying eagle; also refers
to a first magnitude star in the constellation Lyra
- Ameer, Amir — One in authority. A
- Amid — General
- Amin — Faithful, trustworthy
- Amjad — More glorious
- Ammar — Builder, constructor
- Amr — Old Arabic name
- Anis — Close friend
- Anwar — Light
- Arfan — Gratitude
- Arif — Corporal; aquainted,
- Asad — Lion
- Asadel — Most prosperous one
- Ashraf — Most honorable
- Askari — Commander of an army.
- Asim — Protector, defender
- Ata — Gift
- Atif — Compassionate, sympathetic
- Awad — Reward, compensation
- Ayman — Lucky; on the right
- Ayyub — A Prophet's name
- Aza — Comfort
- Azhar — Most shining, luminous
- Azeem, Azim — Defender, referring to
one of Allah's ninety-nine qualities
- Azzam — Determined, resolved
- Badr — Full moon
- Badr al Din — Full moon of the faith
- Baha al Din, Bahiyy al Din —
Magnificence of thefaith
- Bahir — Dazzling, brilliant
- Barakah — Blessing
- Bashshar — Bringer of glad tidings
- Basil — Brave
- Bassam, Basim — Smiling
- Bilal — Name of the Prophet's Muezzin
- Bishr — Joy
- Burhan — Proof
- Dawud — The Holy Prophet "David"
- Dhul-Fiqar — Name of the Prophet's
- Diya al Din — Brightness of the faith
- Emir — Another spelling for Amir
- Esam, Essam — Safeguard
- Fadi — Redeemer
- Fadil, Fadhl, Fazl — Generous,
- Faisal, Faysal — Decisive
- Fakhir — Proud, excellent
- Fakhiri — Honorary
- Faqih — Legal expert, jurist
- Farid — Unique
- Fariq — Lieutenant General
- Faris — Horseman, knight
- Faruq — One who distinguishes truth
from falsehood. Title for Hadrat Umar ibn al-Khattab.
- Fath — Victory
- Fatin — Clever, smart
- Fawwaz — Successful
- Ferran — Baker
- Fida — Redemption, sacrifice
- Firas — Perspicacity
- Fouad — Heart
- Fudail — Excellent in character
- Ghalib — Victorious one.
- Ghawth — Helpher, excellent assistant.
- Ghayth — Similar to above.
- Ghazi — Conqueror.
- Ghiyath — Succorer.
- Habib — Beloved
- Hadi — The Guide.
- Haidar, Haider — A lion. Original name of Hadrat Ali
ibn Abu Talib, May Allah be pleased with him.
- Hakeem, Hakim — Wise, one of Allah's
qualities of absolute wisdom.
- Hakem — Ruler, governor
- Halim — Mild, gentle, patient
- Hammad — The praised one; variation of
the name "Muhammad."
- Hamid — The praised one; variation of
the name "Muhammad."
- Hamza — Another name for a lion
. One of the greatest military commanders of Islam, Hamza ibn
Abdul-Muttalib, may Allah bless him.
- Hanbal — Purity
- Hani — Happy, delighted, content
- Hanif — True believer
- Harith — Ploughman, cultivator
- Haroun, Harun — Arabic form of "Aaron"
- Hasan — Beautiful
- Hashim — Broker; destroyer of evil;
breaker of bread. Hashim was an ascendent of the Holy Messenger
Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)
- Hassan — Handsome
- Hatim — Judge
- Haytham — Young hawk
- Hilal — a new moon crescent
- Hisham — Generosity
- Hud — A Prophet's name
- Hudhayfah — Old Arabic name
- Humam — Courageous, generous
- Husain, Hussein, Husayn — Beautiful;
Imam Hussein (may Allah bless him) was the blessed grandson of the
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
- Husam — Sword
- Husam al Din — Sword of the faith
- Ibrahim — The name of Abraham.
- Idris — A Prophet's name
- Ihsan — Beneficence
- Imad — Support, pillar
- Imad al Din — Pillar of the faith
- Isa, Eisa, Esa — A Prophet's name
- Isam, Issam — Safeguard
- Ishaq — A Prophet's name
- Isma'il — A Prophet's name
- Izz al Din — Might of the faith
- Jabbar — Mighty
- Jabir — Consoler, Comforter
- Ja'far — A river. Name of one of the
Holy Companions, Sayyidina Ja'far ibn Abu Talib, May Allah be
pleased with him.
- Jalal — Tremendous rigor. Glory of the
- Jalil, Jaleel — Great, revered
- Jamal — Beauty
- Jamal al Din — Beauty of the religion
- Jameel, Jamil — Beautiful
- Jawwad — One who possesses tremendous
generosity and gives to anyone who needs his assistance.
- Jawhar — Jewel, essence
- Jibril — Archangel of Allah, Gabriel,
peace be upon him.
- Jihad — Struggle
- Kadar, Kedar — Powerful
- Kadeen, Kadin — Friend, companion,
- Khadeer, Khadir — Green or green crop
(connoting freshnessand innocence)
- Khaliq — Creative, refers to a quality
of Allah's Creative attribute.
- Kamal — Perfect one. Attribute of
- Kameel, Kamil — Perfect; one of the
ninety-ninequalities of Allah
- Kareem, Karim — Generous, noble,
friendly, preciousand distinguished
- Kaseeb, Kasib — Fertile
- Kaseem, Kasim — Divided
- Katib — Writer
- Khalid — Eternal
- Khalil, Khaleel, Kalil — Intimate
- Khatib — One who reads the Khutbah for
Jumu'ah or any other Khutbah.
- Khayr al Din — The good of the faith
- Khayri — Charitable, beneficent
- Khuzaymah — Old Arabic name
- Labib — Sensible, intelligent
- Latif — Gentle, kind, pleasant,
- Luqman — Name of the one who Allah has
endowed with Hikmah (Divine Wisdom).
- Lutfi — Kind and friendly
- Mahdi — The guided one. Guided to the
- Mahir — Skilled
- Mahmud — The praised one; variation of
the name "Muhammad"
- Maimun — Lucky
- Majid — Glorious
- Makin — Strong, firm
- Malik — Master, angel, king
- Ma'mun — Trustworthy
- Ma'n — Benefit
- Mansur — Divinely aided
- Marid — Rebellious
- Marzuq — Blessed by Allah, fortunate
- Mash'al — Torch
- Mas'ud — Fortunate, happy, lucky
- Mazin — Proper name
- Misbah — Lamp
- Mu'adh — Protected
- Mu'awiyah — Young fox (first Umayyad
- Mu'ayyad — Supported
- Mubarak — Happy, blessed
- Mufid — Useful
- Muhammad, Muhammad — The Praised one. Proper respect is to be given to this name if one wish to
have this as his name. If one wishes to choosethis name for
himself, he should have a second name after it. For
example,Muhammad Abbas, Muhammad Kamal, but not simply
"Muhammad" by itself.
- Muhiyuddin — One who revives the Faith.
- Muhsin — Beneficient, charitable
- Muhtadi — Rightly guided
- Mujahid — Fighter (in the way of Allah)
- Mukhtar — Chosen
- Mundhir — Warner, cautioner
- Munir — Brilliant, shining
- Muntasir — Victorious
- Murtadi — Satisfied, content
- Musa — The name of the Holy Messenger
Moses, peace be upon him.
- Mus'ad — Unfettered camel
- Muslim — Submitting oneself to Allah
Almighty believing that there is none but Allah and Muhammad
(peace and blessings of Allah upon him) as His Messenger.
- Mustafa — Chosen one
- Mutahhar — One who purifies
- Mu'tasim — Adhering (to faith, to
- Mu'tazz — Proud, mighty
- Muti — Obedient
- Muwaffaq — Successful
- Muzzammil — one who is covered, wrapped up.
- Nabhan, Nabih — Noble, outstanding
- Nabil — Noble
- Nadhir — Warner
- Nadim, Nadeem — Friend
- Nadir — Dear, rare
- Na'il — Aquirer, earner
- Naim — Comfort, ease, tranquility
- Naji — Safe
- Najib — Of noble descent
- Najjar — Carpenter
- Najm al Din — Star of the faith
- Nasih — Advisor
- Nasim — Fresh air
- Nasir — Protector
- Nasser — Victorious
- Nawaf, Nawfal — Generous, old Arabic
name forthe Sea
- Nazih — Pure, chaste
- Nazim — Arranger, adjuster
- Nuh — Name of the Holy Messenger, Noah,
peace be upon him.
- Numair — Panther
- Nu'man — Blood. Name of the
great Imam, Abu Hanifa, may Allah bless him.
- Nur, Noor — Light; intense bright light.
- Nur al Din — Brightness of the faith
- Nuri — Shining, brightness
- Qadir, Qadeer — power.
- Qasim — Divider, distributor
- Qays — Firm
- Qudamah — Courage
- Rabah — Gainer
- Rabi — Spring, breeze
- Rafi — Exalting
- Rafiq — Kind, friend
- Raghib — Desirous
- Ra'id — Leader
- Rais — Captain
- Rakin — Respectful
- Rashad — Integrity of conduct
- Rashid — One of good council; rightly
guided, havingtrue faith
- Ratib — Arranger
- Rayhan — favored by Allah
- Reda, Rida, Ridha — (In Allah's) favor;
- Ridwan — Name of the keeperof the gates
- Sabih — Beautiful
- Sabir — Patient. One who
perseveres in any and all situations for the sake of Allah.
- Sa'd — Good luck
- Sadaqat — Charity for Allah's
- Sadiq, Sadeeq — Friend
- Sa'eed, Sa'id — Happy
- Safi — Righteous, perfect.
- Safi al Din — a perfection of the Faith.
- Safwan — Rocks
- Sakhi — One who is generous.
- Salah — Devoted; righteous.
- Salah al Din — Devoted to the
- Saleh, Salih — Good, right
- Salim — Safe, whole, flawless
- Salman — Safe
- Sameh — Forgiver
- Sami — High, lofty, exalted
- Samir — Entertaining companion
- Samman — Grocer
- Saqr — Falcon
- Sariyah — Clouds at night
- Sayyid — Master; Chief. Title
for those who descend from Imam Hasan and/or Imam Husain (May
Allah bless them both), known as Ahlul-Bayt.
- Sayf, Saif, Seif — Sword (of religion)
- Saif al Din — Sword of the faith
- Shahid — a witness; martyr.
- Shafiq — Compassionate, tender
- Shakir — Thankful. One who
- Sharif — Honest, noble, distinguished
- Shihab — Flame, blaze
- Siddiq, Siddeeq — Truthful one. One who cannot lie.
- Siraj — Lamp, light
- Sufian, Sufyan — Devoted
- Subhi — Early morning
- Suhail, Suhayl — Gentle, easy; name of
- Suhayb — Of reddish hair or complexion
- Sulaiman — The Holy Messenger, Solomon.
- Tahir — Pure, clean
- Talal — Nice, admirable
- Talib — Seeker (of truth).
- Tamir — One who owns date palm trees
- Tamman — Generous
- Tarif — Rare, uncommon
- Tariq — A path
- Tawfiq — Success, reconciliation
- Taymullah — Servant of Allah
- Taysir — Facilitation
- Tayyib — Good or delicate
- Thabit — Firm
Note: Sometimes the spellings begin with an "O" instead of a "U".
- Ubadah, Ubaida, Ubaydah — Servant of
- Ubaid — Faithful
- Ubayy — Old Arabic name
- Umar — Name of the second Rightly
Guided Khalifah. One of the greatest companions of Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu
'alaihi wa sallam).
- Umarah — Old Arabic name
- Umayr — Old Arabic name
- Usama, Usamah — Description of a lion
- Utbah — Old Arabic name
- Uthman — One of the companions of the
- Wafiq — Successful
- Wahab — a giver
- Wahid — Singular, exclusive, unequalled
- Wa'il — Coming back (for Shelter)
- Wajih — Noble in countenance.
- Wakil — Protector; representative.
- Waleed, Walid — Newborn child
- Waliyullah — Supporter of Allah
- Wasim — Graceful, good looking
- Wazir — Minister
- Yahyah — Name of "John the Baptist."
- Yaman — Proper name
- Ya'qub — Name of the Prophet "Jacob"
- Yasir, Yasser — Wealth, ease
- Yasin — One of Nabi Muhammad's (peace
and blessings of Allah upon him) names
- Yasir — Wealthy
- Yunus — Name of the Prophet "Jonus"
- Yusef, Yusuf — Arabic form of "Joseph"
- Yusuf — A Prophet's name (Joseph)
- Zafir — Victorious
- Zahid — Self-denying or ascetic
- Zahir — Bright, shining
- Zaid — Increase, growth
- Zain — Beauty, Decoration, Ornament
- Zakariyya — A Prophet's name ("Zaccharius")
- Zakiyy — Pure
- Zuhair, Zuhayr — Bright